Friday, September 28, 2012

Day 25 & 26 & 27: Megadrive/Gettin Jungley With It

Due to the previous day's failure to launch from the charming grip of Hoi An, it was necessary to make Day 25 the longest driving day of the trip, during which I had to cover 320 Km (about 200 miles). Though this may not seem like the marathon journey I'm prone to make it out to be, it was nearly 100 Km longer than any other drive I'd undertaken thus far, and quite an undertaking on roads of variable quality and a bike that tops out at about 80 Kph (50 mph).

I woke early, grabbed some market food, and headed out of Hoi An, this time with my passport most certainly IN my possession. The first hour and a half of Deja Vu Drive went as smoothly as it had the previous day (sigh...), and the following hour and a half provided similar predictability, and slightly different scenery. I neared my beach-side lunching destination right on time, but first had to stop at a museum in Son My village, the location of a brutal, controversial, and eventually well-publicized atrocity of war, referred to simply as the My Lai Massacre.

this plastic reenactment could actually appear comical... except for the fact that it actually happened.

Some brief background: the small coastal village called Son My, just south of the Demilitarized Zone, was suspected (or known) to be housing Vietcong supporters/members, and a small group of US soldiers were given vague directions to go take care of the issue, as soldiers are so frequently ordered to do. Something in the directions or the men's brains was off that day, however, and it resulted in the mass slaying of over 100 innocent villagers in My Lai hamlet; men, women, children, and elderly, without discernment. The place was torched to the ground, with the few remaining survivors left to pick up the pieces of their decimated families and homes, not to mention dealing with the subsequent bombings of the area, supposed to be attempts by the US Military to cover their transgressions.

Persevere

Like the rest of Vietnam, life today in rural Son My ticks along normally. The museum, a moderate flow of tourists, and an annual remembrance of the victims are the only traces of what happened, which is all probably for the best. It is now simply another story of innocent people meeting a tragic end, all at the hands of warring governments who decide it necessary to their Empire to put their citizens directly in harm's way. War is a sad, ugly, childish thing.

Read on for some less depressing stuff! Really, I promise...


After visiting the museum, I went to the nearby strip of beach restaurants, where I did my damnedest to enjoy a particularly poorly prepared plate (always appreciate alliteration!)of grilled shrimp, then set off once more, the coastal town of Qui Nhon my next stop, a mere 180-something Km away. The drive was long, littered with big trucks and patches of rough highway, but with the sun beginning to set, my bike in desperate need of gas, and my ass about to resign its post and take up early retirement, I pulled in to a large motel a block and a half from Qui Nhon beach.
Marathon Drive: accomplished.

Qui Nhon, while scenic and fairly heavily populated, held very little of interest for a seasoned traveler such as myself. Still, it's always nice to make it to a place where you can enjoy a sunset dip in the ocean, a cold local beer, and know that you are the only white person for miles. My sore-thumb-like status was later made even more obvious: while searching for some dinner, I happened across a night market and I figured I'd have a look around. After about a minute of walking through the market and getting stared at by nearly every person there, I realized there were a whole lot of girls and not many men... I then realized how ridiculous I looked wandering, alone - a full head taller and whole lot whiter than the nearest competitor - through what was clearly a market of exclusively women's clothing...
SUCH an Ian move...

Embarrassment all but forgotten, the next morning I got right out of boring Qui Nhon, and made the relatively short drive down the coast to a small “backpacker's resort” called Jungle Beach, about 60 Km up the coast from the most heavily touristed Vietnamese beach town, Nha Trang. The cost per night was pretty high, but was all-inclusive and just under my daily budget, so it seemed like a good place to stay a couple days and build up the ole base tan in anticipation of heading to Indonesia a week or so later. The place was peaceful enough, and I grabbed the cheapest “room” in the place: a full $5 cheaper than all the other rooms! Such frugality deserves awards.

my "room". the top is allllmost fully covered. by a tarp.

 Beachin
I spent my 2.5 days there enjoying the sand, surf, and sun, hanging out with a few Germans and a 6 year old British kid named Ja-Go (pronounced jay-go... what??) visiting with his mom, who was clearly happy to have someone willing to play with her energetic son. After doing not much, I was looking forward to moving on to Nha Trang, where I'd be meeting up with a friend from Hanoi who was living there (let's hear it for free accommodation!)

Next time: Russians. Lots of Russians.

No comments:

Post a Comment